Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Not. My. Day.

Well, as indicated by the title of this blog, I'm not in the best mood I've ever experienced.

First off, I can't believe I posted this morning; that seems like it was three days ago, but I guess time drags when you're NOT having fun. Welcome melodrama.

So, this morning started off fine. I went to work and what not, per usual. Well, I had meetings that began at 9:00 a.m. and lasted until I needed to leave for the doctor, which wasn't exactly the ideal way to spend the half-day I had in the office. Granted, the meetings had to happen, but I would have loved to have spent the four hours doing solid work.

I then went to the CF center to begin the screen for the drug study. Within 30 minutes of my arrival, I was pretty disappointed. I don't know if I went into much depth on my last doctor's appointment blog post, but at my appointment in January, I recorded the highest lung function numbers I've gotten in quite some time. Well, today was a stark contrast.

Honestly, when the numbers first appeared on the computer screen, I was thinking something must be horribly wrong. I mean, these were worse than hospital numbers. By the time I completed the tests with enough consistency to be accepted, I was only down about 6 percent, but that's a lot in the CF world - especially when it means .2 liters of air.

Then, when it came time for the physical exam, the doctor looked at my lung function numbers and was surprised at the decline. She then completed the rest of the exam and looked at my nose, at which point she was impressed by the significance of the inflammation. She then started inquiring about my last sinus surgery, which wasn't exactly something I was imagining to hear at this study screening visit.

At the end of it all - after the lung function tests, bloodwork, ECGs (two), sweat tests, etc. - I don't even know if I'll qualify. With my lung numbers being as low as they are right now, the doctors definitely wouldn't consider me to be at a 'stable' point as far as my lung health. I've got my fingers crossed that we can wait it out until the end of allergy season and that I won't have gotten disqualified for my out-of-the-ordinary numbers today. If I don't get to participate, I will be very, very disappointed. I have been following this particular drug since 2006. Plus, regardless of whether I get the real drug or the placebo, study participants get to enroll in an extension study, in which I would be eligible to take the drug until it gets approved and marketed by the FDA. PLEASE! LET ME BE INCLUDED!

Anyway, talking about it isn't going to change what happened today, so I should probably just sleep it off. I went to eat Mexican at El Azteca in order to boost my mood, and it definitely helped. It's time to sleep again. My aching face just can't get enough sleep these days.

1 comment:

  1. Boo!! Those allergies are awful right now! I am STILL sick from last week and I'm starting to think it's at least 70% allergies.

    I hope you qualify for the study though. I know you must be feeling very discouraged. You are always in my prayers, Drewbie!!! Big hugs.

    ReplyDelete