Wednesday, March 17, 2010

It takes a village

Today I went out to eat at El Azteca and was watching a boy (about 8-10 years old) hold a baby sitting at a nearby table. The table was very chaotic and had multiple families, several young children, etc. I was very surprised the parents were letting him hold the baby because he was NOT doing a good job. Watching it was extremely anxiety-provoking because it looked like he was going to drop the baby. He then started shaking the baby, and the parents asked him to stop, but let him continue to hold the baby. Then, I looked over and he was putting the stick of his lollipop into the baby's ear, which made me cringe, but he took it out almost immediately.

This whole time I couldn't take my eyes off the boy and the baby - like I was watching a trainwreck. I noticed the boys hands were around the baby's neck and the baby looked to be straining and her face started turning red. Although this is not my typical behavior, I had to get up and go over to the table at this point. I told one of the men at the table that I really didn't think the boy should be holding the baby because I had been watching and saw him put his hands around the baby's neck. The man actually said to me that he was just playing with her, so I told him that the boy also stuck a lollipop stick into the baby's ear. The man was slightly rude, and I said that I was watching and would not have gotten up if I was not very concerned with what I saw, especially when the baby's face turned red with the boy's hands around the baby's neck.

I sat down feeling kind of embarrassed because I didn't mean to step on anybody's toes, but it was awful to see. It turned out that the man I was telling was not the father of either child, but the father was across from him and heard me voicing concern. The father then went and took the baby away from the boy. A little while later, a lady from the group came up to me and thanked me. I thanked her for letting me know because I wasn't trying to upset anyone. She told me that it takes a village, and that she was glad that I came over to say something. I turned maroon, but I was glad she said something because I was feeling like maybe I had crossed a line.

ANYWAY!

Happy St. Patrick's Day! I forgot to wear green. I had my first improv show a year ago today. Awwww....

Speaking of, I am in the show tomorrow night, so I'm looking forward to that, even though it's been a long week. I wouldn't mind if my character, Rebecca Miller, made her first appearance in a show, especially with her newly acquired Goodwill outfit.

It's past my bedtime, so I'm going to sleep. The video is getting uploaded TONIGHT, and I'm not even yanking your chain one bit!

3 comments:

  1. You may have saved the child's life either at that moment or some time in the future. That's worth a little embarrassment. Kudos! It's hard to do what you did but glad you did it. (I was anxious just reading it). Scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job, Drew! Way to do the right thing in the face of rudeness! Bunny, Anneliese, Jen, Emma and Amber are ALL jealous of Rebecca's Goodwill outfit. Sigh.

    And on an unrelated note, I LOVE the new blog layout with the megahot pics and CF facts. Well done :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Howcome you get up at 6:22? Why that particular time? Curiouser and curiouser.

    ReplyDelete