Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Like a battlefield

Goooooooooooooooooood morning! It's Wednesday. I'm super-excited! Only four more days in the office until Thanksgiving.... Two days working from home, but getting to work is usually the hardest part. This week seems to be freakishly slow, but I'm still having a difficult time getting everything done at work. I keep waiting for a lull in the excessive workload... I'm starting to think maybe that's a myth. It's been 10 months and I haven't yet experienced it.

Well, I spoke at the CF Foundation's Atlanta Wine Opener kickoff event last night. I woke up feeling kinda junky and teetered on canceling, but decided to rough it out and commit to going regardless of whether or not I felt any better by the end of the day. After what felt like an 18-hour day at work, I headed to midtown for the event.

Since I left work a little later than planned, I decided to touch-up my makeup on the way down to the event. Now, doing makeup in the car is typical for me because a) I don't wear much, and b) I live on the edge. So, I got out my 'concealer' and put some dots all over my face. As I was screwing the lid back on, I realized the lid had more of a square shape than a circular shape. At that point I realized I had just dotted my face with mascara.

So, here I am, driving around town making wrong turns while looking like Raggedy Ann. I finally got to the event - a few minutes late - but I got there, nonetheless. First stop was the restroom to make sure I had successfully dedotted my face. The event started soon after I got there, and my speaking part went pretty well. I didn't get too visibly emotional for once, but hopefully I got the message across. We want a cure for CF!

I think I'll treat myself to Starbucks on the way to work. I haven't done that in what seems like forever, so I'll leave a few minutes earlier than planned and pick up a Peppermint Mocha Latte. Mmmm, delicious!

I need to work on my book some this evening. I hoped that writing it (typing it) down in here may actually make me hold myself accountable.

No comments:

Post a Comment