Thursday, October 14, 2010

Surgerification

Hello all.

I have been surgerized. I am feeling surprisingly well! I remember feeling much, much worse when I got the surgery back in 2007. I have no idea what could be causing the difference, but I'll take it! Hooray for being well-navigated on the road to recovery.

Today was kind of a blur, as one might imagine. I got picked up from my hospital room at about 9:45 a.m. to head the building for surgery. The wheelchair ride was pretty fun. It's interesting to watch people look at you as they try to figure out what's wrong. I got to the surgery clinic, signed some paperwork, and headed into the OR (on foot, which I found amusing). They gave me some sedatives, but I honestly have no idea when they actually even started with the anesthesia.

When I woke up from surgery, I had no idea what time it was, I felt surprisingly good, and I was chatting with a nice nurse named Anna. I didn't stay down in recovery for very long because I was doing so well already. My transporter came to get me again and took me on a stretcher back to my room. I vaguely remember announcing "kill or be killed" throughout the gurney journey (you like that?).

After I got back to my room, I wanted to eat. SHOCK! My mom went and got me some chocolate frozen yogurt, so that was nice; my throat was a little irritated from the tube they had down it during surgery. I closed my eyes and rested some, but I don't think I ever actually fell asleep. I had a baked potato and a little bit of chicken for dinner, followed up with some cherry-flavored Italian ice. Yum! I've been snacking all night - I'm not sure what's causing this crazy appetite. Cabin fever, perhaps?

Word on the street is that I'm headed home on IVs tomorrow. I'm excited about that because I've been wanting to write, but the hospital has been quite distracting. For example, someone is waxing the floors right now and it's 12:23 a.m. Speaking of, I wonder where the nurse is with my midnight IV...

Thank you to everyone for sending me well wishes for my surgery. They seem to have worked because this is unbelievably easy (knock on wood)!

1 comment:

  1. Glad it went well! Sounds like a lovely recovery which I am quite jealous of-glad you're feeling better!
    -Emma
    Sorry if this posts twice but I don't think it will..

    ReplyDelete