Monday, October 4, 2010

How things change...

Well, today went much differently than expected. That sentence sounds weird, but I'm out of it. Anyway, I went into work super early (7ish) because I wanted to get home early so that I could see a friend who is (was) leaving the state tomorrow. When I got to work I was very focused, knowing that I have a lot to accomplish this week before I take off for surgery. I emailed the staff about my upcoming leave and started cranking things out.

Out of nowhere I started getting a call from an unknown number. I could tell it was an Emory number, so I answered, thinking it probably had to do with surgery talk or something. To my surprise, it was one of the CF doctors. I still assumed she was calling to verify that all systems were go, but she was instead informing me that some tests from my doctor's appointment (on September 2) showed that I had developed a bacteria in my lungs. As you can imagine, I was very shocked - not only because that appointment was so long ago, but also because this information was nowhere to be found last week.

After an emotionally exhausting day, the new plan consists of me getting admitted to the hospital next Monday to start IVs, with surgery being postponed until next Thursday. As tough as today has been, I am feeling at peace with what is going to happen. Needless to say, I was too much of an emotional wreck to tack on the goodbye, so that has been postponed until tomorrow.

In positive news, THE BRAVES ARE IN THE PLAYOFFS. I am going to the game on Sunday! The doctor tried to get me to come into the hospital on Friday, but I negotiated my way out of it. When I was emailing the surgeon's assistant to explain my unrelenting need to get the date changed, I was like, "To be completely honest, I am a die-hard Braves fan." She was very sweet and encouraging - one of the highlights of my day. My friend (ES) gave me some Braves SillyBandz today! I have on a tomahawk right now.

I am running on low emotional fuel right now, so I'm going to go to sleep. Although I never would have imagined it earlier in the day, I'm starting to see the positive...

Thank you for any thoughts of healing and happiness that you can send my way.

P.S. No word from the rat.

No comments:

Post a Comment