Sunday, March 27, 2011

Feelin' lucky

This weekend has me feeling very fortunate. I'm lucky to know the people that I know and to have the support that I have. Drew's Crew is about to hit $10,000 online, which is well beyond where I expected to be at this time. It's especially surprising because the team is still forming and I haven't put a heavy emphasis on fundraising yet. It's really refreshing to see so many people standing behind me and my cause. Let's cure CF! http://www.cff.org/great_strides/drewdotson5267

Now, for the insane part... As I mentioned in yesterday's post, it was my friend BB's birthday. After I finished working my crew shift at the theatre, a group of us went out to celebrate. We went to a bar in Midtown and did some people watching and things of that nature. When we called it a night, my roommate and I got in my car so I could drive us home since I was the DD (double meaning!).

We were chatting and driving on 400 when I saw a car weaving in my rearview mirror. I was in the center lane of the three-lane highway. It looked like it was about to barrel into the back of my car, and it startled me to the point of yelling. Before I could even realize what was happening, I saw the headlights jerk to the left and I started to brake. The SUV then looked to have lost control and headed toward the cement wall that acts as a median. When the car was literally feet from crashing into the wall, the driver must have spun the wheel to the right, and the SUV crossed directly in front of us (perpendicular to the way of traffic). Thankfully, I was shocked into braking, but a car in the far right lane didn't see this happening and we watched the SUV barrel right into the driver's side door of a truck.

Debris went flying like rain onto our car, and both the truck and the SUV started spinning. I slammed on the brakes so hard that we started to fishtail and head straight for the cement wall/SUV that was bouncing off of the wall. How we made it between the two spinning cars without getting hit is beyond me. It was truly like our lives flashed before our eyes. Both scared speechless and shaking like crazy, I tried to make my way to the side of the road as AH called 911. As AH was fielding questions from the 911 dispatcher, I saw the SUV start to reverse (it ended up facing the wrong direction after bouncing off the wall and back toward the shoulder).

The SUV then started riding up the shoulder behind us and I was hopeful that they were turning around to move the car out of the way and wait for the cops. However, given my experience two months ago, I knew better than to trust that someone would do the right thing. I started yelling that the car was leaving and tried to remember how to put my car in drive. As the SUV went by, I yelled out the first three letters of the license plate, but we were both so shocked that neither of us were functioning to the best of our abilities. When I got the car going, I started trying to follow the SUV. The car got off at the first exit so I started to follow, but I'm positive that they could tell that's what I was doing. The person started (or continued) driving like a maniac. For example, we started to get in a left turn lane right behind them at a red light, and they instinctively got out of the turn lane so they could have a green light and cut across three more lanes of traffic to make a quick right-hand turn. At this point, we realized that catching them was hopeless (and probably dangerous), so we decided to head back down the highway to turn around and get back on heading toward the accident.

When we got back to the scene, people were standing outside of their cars and the truck looked even worse than I'd envisioned. There were items from the bed of the truck on the highway and the whole right side of the truck was practically touching the ground. The tailgate was on the other side of the totaled guard rail, and the metal sound barrier past the guard rail was torn up, too. I was relieved to see that the driver's door was opened and that everyone was standing. We then realized who the driver must have been because there was a lady who was clearly in shock and very emotional.

The cop finally arrived a few minutes after we made it back and, once again, I became the witness to a hit and run. The cop said I would be the primary witness since I was in the middle of it and had seen everything happen. He said that I could expect to hear from the detective regarding the case. I wonder if it will be my same detective friend; I'm quite the magnet! As the cop was getting my number, another group of witnesses started trying to make a love connection, but the cop wasn't having any of that.

I couldn't sleep when we finally got home (after 3:30 a.m.) because it was one of those moments that makes you think about how your life can change in a split second. As my roommate and I walked through the grocery store today, all we (mainly I) could talk about was how that could have played out differently. It's times like these when I think about some angels I know who are breathing easy and looking after me. It was such a frightening experience, and I really can't even put into words how grateful we both feel today.

It makes me think about life and, despite the health battles that I face, I'm not exempt from anything. That was one of the scariest things I've ever seen, and I'm amazed that we were so lucky. It's just a reminder that you can do everything right, but you can't control the crazy things that other people might do. There's obviously no need to live a life of fear, but there's a need to live a life that makes you proud.

Love you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment