Monday, January 24, 2011

Hola, hypocrite

So, this is a forewarning that I'm not in a very pleasant mood. It's really been a culmination of things that got me to this point, the biggest of those being hypocrisy.

To make a long story short, Saturday was not a good day. I was in my room getting ready to venture out of the house when I heard some weird noises. Knowing my roommate wasn't home, it caught my attention. I then heard loud noises again and realized they were coming from outside. I looked outside in time to see a U-Haul wedged against the cement column to which our exit gate is affixed. Well, I saw the truck try to break free, consequently uprooting the cement column and knocking the cast-iron gate loose only to be caught by my car. Hooray!

I threw on some clothes and went downstairs and outside to see that the gate had been lifted off my car. I was looking at my car to see if my window was cracked and if there was any other damage. Two of the three guys involved were trying to rub scratches off my car and I pulled out my phone. One guy was friendly and said he was calling the cops, so I started to look up the numbers to our property management company. Then, out of nowhere, the guys made a break for it and took off.

I stood there in disbelief for longer than I should have, hoping that they were simply moving the U-Haul and accompanying car out of the roadway. Buuuut they didn't return. So I called the cops and, although they tried to chase them, they couldn't find them. I then spent another 90 minutes dealing with the cops and filing the report, etc. We knocked on some doors to see if we could get any information, but the cop explained that it would be assigned to a hit-and-run detective who would call me and try to help find the perpetrators.

Now, because of someone else's irresponsibility, I've wasted several hours having to tell and retell the story to various parties, only to feel like nobody is all that concerned. It's just frustrating because people are acting like I'm being unreasonable and/or impatient when I can't even imagine how the tables would be turned if they were in my position. Not only am I frustrated by the inconvenience of it all, but it's kind of disheartening when someone does something like that to you personally. I feel like it isn't a priority to anybody except me, when I'm already the one who wasted most of my free time on the weekend dealing with it, has to listen to the screeching of the broken gate trying to close at all times, and was technically the 'victim' of the pending case. I just kind of wish people would take a moment to step back and try to empathize with how they might feel if the roles were reversed.

Enough of being on that pedestal, but it has been stressful.

Friday night I saw Peter Pan and it was pretty stinkin' cool. My weekend was practically nonstop, so I don't feel well-rested at all. I just feel so drained in every sense. I can't wait to leave town.

No comments:

Post a Comment