Sunday, April 5, 2009

I am still alive

Hi. I am still alive. Despite reaching an uncharted level yesterday, I have lived to tell about it. Yesterday was absolutely fascinating. Although I got stuck by needles 28 times and exercised to the point of not being able to speak, I am glad I participated. I literally rode on an exercise bike in a 90-degree heat chamber for almost three hours.

When I got off of the bike, I literally felt close to death. I felt as though I was going in and out of consciousness, much like the feeling before going under anesthesia. I wasn't sure if people were truly talking to me or if I was hearing voices. I also wasn't sure if I was responding or if I was simply thinking the responses. It was an extremely strange feeling.

Being that I'm a very independent person, I knew that I was at a point of desperation. I had to have someone help undress me and help me use the restroom. The researchers had to collect a urine sample after the exercise section, and a lady literally held the urine sample container under me because I could not do it myself. It was a neat feeling to be at a point of helplessness because I'm not sure that I've been like that before. The closest I've ever been was in the midst of an asthma attack, but at least I knew what was happening in those situations.

I am glad I participated, even though I don't feel as though my head is entirely back. The researchers were concerned that I could have been suffering from hyponatremia, so I was literally eating and drinking salt in order to help correct my electrolyte imbalance, if that's what was happening. Yesterday was crazy! It was a thrill! I don't think I want to do it again, though...

No comments:

Post a Comment