Thursday, April 21, 2011

Well, well, well...

What do we have here?

So, I know I just got impatient and posted a blog in mid-thought. So sue me! Tuesday didn't quite go as expected, but that seems to be the norm these days. I had an 8:00 a.m. meeting to discuss the CF center communications plan I've been crafting. The highlight of that meeting was DUNKIN' DONUTS! No, I didn't have a white powdered donut, but I did have a regular donut with chocolate frosting. As I was leaving the meeting to walk down the street to my office, I decided to have one more donut. So, with a notebook in one hand and a donut in the other, I shamelessly strolled down the sidewalk.

I went to Willy's like usual and, on the way back from lunch, my mom texted me and asked me to call her. I tried and she didn't answer, but she called me shortly after I walked back into my office. She told me that my grandfather died. Now, given that he's the healthiest he's been in several years, I was in absolute shock. I literally started bawling hysterically -- that cry when you're sobbing faster than you can breathe. I had my office door shut, but it only took moments to get a knock asking if everything was okay. I was practically in the midst of a panic attack. I started babbling incoherently and couldn't really get it together. I had a meeting a few minutes later and, for some unknown reason, I decided that the best thing to do was to proceed like normal. I pretty much sat there in a daze for an hour.

After the meeting, I decided to head home to try to gather my thoughts. As I was about to hop on the highway, my mom called and let me know that people were heading from the hospital back to my grandmother's house. I turned my car around and started making my way to her place. When I arrived there, some workers were talking to my grandmother and aunt, telling them some of the last jokes my grandfather made. [For example, a worker passed him and was pushing two carts, and he suggested that the worker better be getting paid double.] I then heard the story of what happened...

My grandparents live at a retirement community with a big lake. My grandfather loves (loved? I never know when to make that transition in tense.) walking around that lake. He went on one of his usual walks and sat down on a bench. Supposedly he had an exchange with a lady and she continued walking, and the next thing she knew, folks were running over to help him, but he was simply gone. The ambulances came and couldn't really get a pulse; they believe he had a heart attack. They took him to the hospital, but couldn't bring him back. I have to say that, of all the ways to go, it sounds so perfect to be doing one of your favorite pastimes, sitting on your favorite bench, enjoying a beautiful Spring day. Although the initial shock was very difficult, I am so thankful that he had such a painless death.

It was ironic, too, because I used to always try to wear purple when I was going to see him. I don't own all that much purple, but I knew he liked it when I wore purple. On Tuesday, I happened to put on a purple shirt and, when my mom informed me of his death, my purple shirt was one of the first things to cross my mind. I'm going to be speaking at the funeral, and I'm still thinking of what all I'm going to say. It's all been a little difficult to digest, but I'm feeling very at-peace with the whole thing.

I'm at my parents' house right now; it feels good to be home. I will leave you with a sight that made me laugh uncontrollably. One might think it seems insensitive, but my grandfather was quite the comedian, so I think he'd appreciate this photograph of a nutritious meal...




P.S. I saw another car accident yesterday. I was on foot and it was 15 feet away (at most). Shudder.

No comments:

Post a Comment